Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The baby gets a room.

We found an apartment. It's more than we wanted to spend but it's in our current neighborhood, has a screened in porch for Kiki, a garage, wood floors, and a room for the baby. It may actually be the same size our current place, just a different layout and bigger & nicer bathroom. Our tub here is deep but kind of short. The new tub will be big enough for a more pregnant me to take a proper bath. I am looking forward to that. This whole time of being pregnant, I didn't let myself think about decorating a nursery cause I imagined we wouldn't have one, so now that we do I can finally let myself get excited about that. Not that we will have much money to do anything with, but I bet we can make a cozy space for our tiny human without too much effort or spending.

Of course now comes the hectic pack & move process. The new place is so close to this one that I could walk to it in five minutes, if that, so I don't need to go crazy when I pack up the Pyrex. When we moved in here, we rented a truck, and the back of the truck was stacked with boxes and boxes of Pyrex. Maybe 18 meticulously packed boxes? A little crazy, I know. And since then I am pretty sure we've added more pieces to the collection. I realized last night that I could probably just use laundry baskets and linens, wrap the pyrex up in the sheets and blankets, and fill up the baskets. It will only take two minutes in the car and a trip up the stairs and BAM, it's done. We will have, at the least, three weeks to move, and up to 5 weeks depending on when the realtor gets our current place rented. So in the next three weeks, Trever will paint the new place, and I will attempt to thin out our belongings while I pack (but do not lift) boxes.

Of course I would like to start right away, but guess who has a cold again? THIS LADY. I feel like my fucking head is in a vice, and nothing will drain from my nose. I used my neti pot last night, and I did get some mucus to come out of my EYE.

I think Kiki is going to be pissed to move again, at first. The past year has been stressful on her: losing her sister, moving to a new place without her sister, us leaving her for a week in the new place after we moved in, and not having the freedom to go on a porch like she did at our old place. It has not be officially diagnosed in her, but I think she has feline hyperesthesia. I started thinking it after we went away for a night to our friends' wedding, and when we got back the next day, Kiki had a bald spot at the base of her tail on her back. She had lick herself bald! Since then, her fur has grown back, but it's a sensitive spot on her. All the other descriptions of feline hyperesthesia fit her. It's weird. When I read it the first time, I was stunned. THIS IS DESCRIBING MY CRAZY CAT. When I mentioned it to our vet, he didn't exactly listen. He knows I spend too much time googling cat info. It's diagnosed by testing for lots of other things and ruling them out, which means $$$$, something he knows we don't have a ton of. And she is fifteen years old so I am not crazy about running a battery of tests on her. The treatments for it are varied - a change in diet, increased exercise, anti-depressants. I don't want Kiki on Prozac. So we just live with and love our crazy cat.

Our new porch is fully screened in, and we will be able to leave our kitchen window open once it's warm enough so she will have access to an almost outdoor space all the time. I will make Trever put up a bird feeder. We will grow cat grass and cat nip and she will basically have a salad bar. I will spoil her rotten for as long as she lets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment