Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sometimes you need a change of pace.

Friday was a rough day. I picked up Roo's ashes. They came in a nice wooden box with a note from the crematorium. Morbid and thoughtful at the same time. The box comes with a little lock and two keys. We haven't opened it yet, and I doubt we will. I am just glad I didn't have to buy an urn.

After that sad event, I had to drop my sister's car off at the airport. I really enjoyed zipping around in it, it's faster and smoother than the old red volvo. Rode the rail home, spent the afternoon drinking beer alone and cutting my hair off in the bathroom with dull scissors:



It worked out okay, I am pretty happy with it, but the whole experience reminded me an awful lot of art school in the nineties (only I shaved my head that time.)

The next morning marked a week since we put her down. I woke up early, watched some terrible tv on netflix with Kiki. We snuggled hard and let Trever sleep in. The plan was to re-arrange the whole apartment. We had a late start; after banana chocolate chip pancakes and coffee, we ran a couple errands, and stopped at home to drop off my ice cream before heading to home depot for bird seed. He was driving, started to take the left out of our street but then changed his mind and took the right. GOOD THING! The lady at the end of our street was cleaning out her garage. We mistook it for a yard sale, she corrected us, but then said, "That dresser is free, though, if you want it!"

I swear, Roo was looking down at us. She knew that a new piece of furniture was just the incentive we needed to clean and re-arrange and reset our home. And lordy, the dresser is beautiful. Here is just a taste:



There is a still a lot to do at home, but the change feels pretty good so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment